CHEPS, one of the Runnymede Foodbank’s sponsors, has generously paid for the Runnymede Foodbank to enter & compete in the upcoming Weybridge Community regatta on July 28.
The regatta is organised by Weybridge Rowing Club, along the beautiful River Thames. The Regatta has been created as a community initiative to give local businesses an opportunity to meet, network and compete in a sporting environment.
Consequently, the Foodbank is looking to field a team of 4 rowers. We have reserved one of our ‘seats’ for the ACS parents club and I will be rowing in the team. So, we are looking for 2 more volunteers from the Foodbank volunteering community to join our motley crew.
Rowing experience is not required. Expert training will be provided by Weybidge Rowing club. If you are already an experienced rower, then you will be very welcome to help propel the Foodbank’s boat to victory. However, the primary qualification is neither skill nor experience, but enthusiasm.
Weybridge Rowing Club will provide training on land and on the water to make sure all crews are safe on the day. There are up to four hours of training, provided in two, two-hour sessions available in advance to each team, and at least one session is mandatory for each participant.
If you are interested joining the Foodbank’s rowing team, please reply to Steve Folsom at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A full fun day
- The day kicks off with breakfast and welcome at the Holiday Inn, Shepperton.
- Then down at the river, every team does a 500m time trial in the Desborough Cut and a 2k ergo relay (500m each).
- Lunch is provided and there is plenty of time to network and to make useful links and friends with other local businesses.
- In the afternoon, there will be a side-by-side regatta, again 500m. Depending on the entries there may be events for single sex and mixed teams.
- The day will end with prize giving and dinner in the marquee by the river around 5pm.
- Medals are being specially designed for the occasion and will surely become collectors’ items!
- Before the day – two-hour training sessions available to each team, and at least one session is mandatory for each participant.
More information about the regatta can be found here: https://weybridgecommunityregatta.co.uk